Children who have complex communication needs or have only limited speech, in addition to other challenges, often struggle to interact and communicate. This may include children who have physical disabilities, multiple disabilities, sensory processing challenges, limited social interaction skills, and/or a range of cognitive limitations and learning difficulties. This two-day course will demonstrate the use of a Pragmatic Organization Dynamic Display (PODD) approach developed by Gayle Porter (Melbourne, Australia). Generic templates for multi-page “light tech” communication books have been carefully designed to support genuine communication for a variety of functions throughout the day. These templates may be customized for a range of access methods and other individual needs. Come learn strategies for creating multi-modal language learning environments that provide receptive models and expressive opportunities for language development. Learn strategies for teaching and using PODD with children and their communication partners. Videos and case examples will be shared. Participants will have an opportunity for hands-on practice with PODD Communication books. There is a $17 fee for the PODD course manual in addition to the $510 cost of the two-day workshop.
Date and Time:
- September 30, 2019
- 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
As a result of this activity, participants will be able to:
• Describe the challenges faced by professionals creating communication systems in terms of vocabulary organization, layout, design, range of access strategies and customizing for individual requirements.
• Discuss the importance of receptive language input and creating a mulit-modal language learning environment
• Discuss the features of a PODD communication system in terms of vocabulary organization, layout, design, range of access strategies and customizing for individual requirements.
• Use PODD generic template resources to produce customized communication books.
• Discuss the teaching and learning strategies for implementing PODD communication systems with students and team members.
• Teach children and partners to use PODD communication books in daily environments.
Linda J. Burkhart, B.S., is a Augmentative Communication and Assistive Technology Integration Specialist in private practice, St. Johns, FL and Dale Gardner Fox, M.S., RPT, is an AT Consultant, Hampshire Educational Collaborative, CCATT, Northampton, MA.
There is a $17 fee for the PODD course manual in addition to the $510 cost of the two-day workshop.