Introducing Mantis Q40, The First Bluetooth Keyboard Which Keeps Braille At Your Fingertips
APH, in partnership with HumanWare, is excited to introduce the Mantis Q40. Consisting of a full size QWERTY, laptop-style keyboard, with a built-in 40 cell refreshable braille display, the Mantis ensures that students and professionals don’t have to sacrifice the use of braille when typing on a keyboard.
The Mantis Q40 connects to any device — simply connects via USB or Bluetooth, and the Mantis is immediately functioning as that device’s keyboard. At the same time the student or professional is typing on the Mantis, the refreshable braille below the keyboard is providing a multimodal braille complement to the screen reader, ensuring the student is continuing to use their literacy skills.
In addition to functioning as a keyboard and braille display with other devices, the Mantis also contains the following:
- Basic editor to function as a user’s pen and paper
- Book reader to download and read books in braille
- Calculator to perform basic mathematics calculations
- Clock to check the date and time
- File manager to organize one’s work
- 16 GB of internal storage
- USB-C charging port
Keep braille at your fingertips anytime, anywhere, with the Mantis Q40: a first-of-its-kind Bluetooth® keyboard and 40-cell refreshable braille display.
With the Mantis, users no longer need to choose between a keyboard or a braille device – at the same time a student or professional is typing on the Mantis, the refreshable braille below the keyboard is providing a multimodal braille complement to the screen reader, making it easier to participate in, and succeed at, school or work.
Features & Benefits
All-in-one, full-size QWERTY laptop-style keyboard and built-in, 40-cell refreshable braille display – students and professionals no longer need to sacrifice the use of braille when using a keyboard.
Supports up to 5 Bluetooth connections at once, along with one USB connection.
Functions as another device’s keyboard when connected via USB or Bluetooth; functions as a stand-alone device when not connected.
A wide range of Duxbury and liblouis braille tables for instant translation from and to printed text.
Contains the following built-in applications:
– Basic editor to function as a user’s pen and paper.
– Book reader to download and read books in braille.
– Calculator to perform basic mathematical calculations.
– Clock to check the date and time.
– File manager to organize one’s work.
– HumanWare signature thumb keys and home button.
– 15 hours of battery life with rechargeable, removable batteries. – 16 GB of internal storage.
– SD card slot and USB host port for flash drives.
– Toggles between QWERTY and Perkins-style input.
– Supports .doc, .docx, .txt, .brf, and .brl files.
– Thin and lightweight (1.7 lbs).
– Fits in a laptop bag or backpack.
– Windows 8 and above using Jaws 18+, NVDA, and Narrator – MacOS 10.15+ Catalina
– iOS 13.3+
Mantis Q40 device
USB-C charging cable with power supply (works with any USB charger, but may charge slower)
Green TPU case (a professional carrying case from Executive Products may be purchased as an additional accessory)
User Guide (stored on device)
If you are as excited about the Mantis Q40 as they are, please visit aph.org/mantis-q40/ to join their waiting list. They anticipate to begin shipping by the end of April 2020. The Mantis Q40 will be available for standard purchase, as well as with Federal Quota funds.
Click here for more information on Mantis Q40